Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Jay Roacher - Self Titled (CD REVIEW)














Jay Roacher

self titled

Grymeworks 2007

It was kinda funny, Jay Rocher's CD arrived in my mailbox broken and I had to wonder if that was the way Jay wanted me to receive it.

I have to be honest, I don't know that much about Jay Roacher. Apparently he's a rapper from Christchurch, spends a lot of time chilling and made his name in the New Zealand and Australian Hip-Hop scenes as a battle mc who drops a lot of your mumma jokes.

This is his first CD, he's released it on his own label and some guy called Nettsmoney made some sick grimey sample based hip-hop beats for it.

Jay lyrics are really honest and he has his own style, simular in vein to Torrettes, Louie Knux and Cyphanetik. Jay Roacher's music isnt going to be for everyone, but anyone who renames Christchurch 'Grymeworks City' gets a few points in my book.

Martyn Pepperell
3/5

Taken from Groove Guide Magazine


No comments: