Friday, March 23, 2007

THE HEATMAKERZ













The Heatmakerz, consisting of Rsonist and Thrilla, are a New York based production team known for creating hard-hitting beats and platinum hits.
Their unique sound propelled artists like
Cam’ Ron, Juelz Santana and The Diplomats to stardom.
They have also produced hits for Fat Joe, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Lil Flip, Papoose, Twista, I-20, M.O.P, AZ, Capone and Brook Valentine with an overall combined sales history of nearly 8 million records.

On
March 27th, 2007, the platinum producers The Heatmakerz will release their
most anticipated project to date, The Rush. Staying true to the formula that has brought them success, the project combines soul samples over heavy drums.
This project features artists who best compliment their progressive sound as well as those who are known for rocking Heatmakerz beats.

The Rush features, Jim Jones, Papoose, Peedi Crakk, JR Writer, and Jae Millz and highlights members of The Heatmakerz extended family including, The Product G&B, Dox, Carma and Law.
This is the first time fans will get to see Rsonist responsible for both producing the hits and rapping on 11 of the 15 tracks.

Fans addicted to the “Crack Music” which The Heatmakerz produce plenty of will certainly be getting “The Rush” they need. Hard-hitting production accompanied by today’s hottest MCs makes The Rush a must have for any true hip-hop fan.

I recently had the opportunity to speak to Rsonist from the Heatmakerz about what’s going on in their world. The new album, production techniques and what’s wrong and right about Hip-Hop in 2007.

Martyn: Yo Rsonist, what’s going on man? How you doing out there?

Rsonist: Great man, just great. We’ve just been outta town doing some shows, the albums dropping March 27th. We got more gigs coming up, we’re heading out to Japan to play a bunch of times to promote the album, actually the albums already out in Japan. We dropped it on the 20th as a little exclusive for the heads out there. The response has been great; things are just getting better and better.

Martyn: So tell us about the album, what’s going on with that?

Rsonist: Oh man, the album is mad crazy. It’s called ‘The Rush’, like I said, it drops March 27th in the US and the whole thing is pure heat. We mashed up a lot of proper late 60’s soul records, 70’s soul records, even a touch of the 80’s. You all know the Heatmakerz production style, and that’s still how we rocking, but we took it to the next level. We’re introducing a new style of drum programming on this one and used a lot of cuts where we replay instrument lines and parts from songs to make the beats heavier.

On vocal duties, we got all sort of crazy cats on there. We got Jim Jones, Papoose, Peedi Crack, JR Writer, The Extended Heatmakerz Family and more. Oh yeah I’m rapping on about 11 of the tracks also. I’ve done a few bits and pieces on mixtapes, but this is going to be my formal debut as a rapper.

People are going to be pleasantly surprised with this one. ‘The Rush’ is a straight reality rap album. I ain’t talking about guns or killing no one. I’m rapping about real life issues relevant to me and my environment. A lot of rappers are about 50/50 truth and fiction, on stage and in the studio. Me it’s all true life, this ain’t no fairy tale.

I’m influenced by a lot of different rappers, some in regards to stage show, others flow and then some lyrics. I just take their best elements, filter out the bad and that’s what makes me me!

We have had to work with a lot of people in the past in situations where we just had to produce artists and sell beats. In that kind of scenario, you don’t have that much control over the complete product. That’s why I’m really proud of this album; it’s just us and our family telling it how it really is.

Hip-Hop is weak these days in general. Cats are scared to be themselves and be honest, everybody is just playing follow the leader. It’s not good for the culture, the sound, or the art. In our ideal situation we would set up and environment where rappers can be themselves, be true and really nurture and develop depth in the music.

I don’t really listen to much Hip-Hop. When you make it, live and breathe it all day, every day it gets a little much at times. I bump a lot of soul joints in the ride, 60’s to 80’s, that’s my shit man. I have to be honest, outside of Hip-hop I think the genre that’s got the right idea is R’n’B. R’n’B is developing so well these days, a lot of the big artists are just making music. They aren’t forcing it or trying to hard, they just let it come out. The Heatmakerz will definitely be fucking with more R’n’B artists this year.

If I gotta talk about positives in Hip-Hop and acts that really represent and do a good job, first in my mind comes M.O.P. M.O.P ain’t done anything for a minute, but you know when they do it’s always going to be quality. They do what they do, do it well and don’t change for nobody. I also definitely got to name check my fam ‘The Diplomats’, hate em or love em they do their thing and they do it solid.

Martyn: Have you got any thoughts or advice for young producers out there in the game?

Rsonist: Your drums have got to be on point, make sure your drums really hit hard, then start fucking with the sample on top after that. We got a little trick, when we send records to engineers to be mixed, I always get them to send back the individual layers. Then I chop those drums up and use them again. Through this process, I have gotten the thick moshpit Heatmakerz drum sound you all know and love.

We work on MPC 2000 and 4000 and use a Proteus sound module. Sometimes I’m on other gear, but 10 out of 10 times I’m fucking with a MPC. Make the music you love and don’t let other people lead you astray. Don’t follow trends, follow your heart and your creative instincts.

Martyn: Are there any artists you haven’t worked with yet you would like to work with, and where are some places you would like to play you haven’t been yet?

Rsonist: 50 Cent, Eminem, Jeezy, loads of R’n’B artists. You know Nee-Yo, Keisha Cole and more. I got a feeling that this year is going to be the year we are going to get to all he people we need to get to.

Shows, well…I got to be honest, I’m really new to this whole rapping thing. I ain’t been nowhere, so anywhere I can perform on stage is a buzz for me. Obviously, I would like to see more of the states, especially California. I’m also really keen on the idea of hitting Europe, especially London and Germany. Japan is going to be a blast, and you know I can’t wait to get out to New Zealand and Australia!

Martyn: Finally, what have been some high points in your career as producers so far?

Rsonist: Producing the bulk of the cuts on Diplomatic Immunity 1 and Julez Santana’s first album “From me to you” was pretty special. That whole time period from 2003-2004 was a big thing for us. Right now is looking pretty good also though. Things are just getting better and better for The Heatmakerz.

Interview by Martyn Pepperell

No comments: