Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Box of Dub: Dubstep & Future Dub











Soul Jazz Records Presents:

Box of Dub: Dubstep & Future Dub
(Southbound Distribution)

Dubstep is something that is only just starting to make sense to me. I've always appreciated it's half-time jungle aesthetic and it's constant use of reggae/ragga samples and motiff's, but a small part of me has remained unconvinced. This was partially chipped away by seeing Mala from Digital Mystiks perform a DJ several months ago and even more chipped away by the sheer quality of this album.

Soul Jazz Records have always been on top of their reggae/dub game, so to see them embrace jungle and dubstep in recent months has been a beautiful thing. “Box of Dub” is a collection of reggae/dub styled dubstep tunes from prominent scene leaders such as Digital Mystiks, Kode9, Burial, Skream and more.

What really struck me about this cd (something you've probably already worked out) was the heavy heavy layering of dub/reggae elements, finally I felt like I was listening to a selection of dubstep cuts that truly represented a logical progression and evolution of UK dub. Unfortunately this gives rise to the question 'Is dubstep really a new sound, or is it merely a re branding of previous styles?'

Either way with brilliant cuts like 'I Wait' on board, fans of bass heavy dubby music won't really be complaining. I could see 'Box of Dub' as being a suitable release for home listening or dancefloor rocking satisfaction! Check it out!

Martyn Pepperell

1 comment:

Joshua Mostafa said...

I know this is an old post but I just read it and I had to say something. Or maybe two things.

1. The whole digital dub thing was an influence on dubstep for sure, but it's garage in dub's clothing, whereas UK dub was .. well I never checked for it, I'm probably not the best person to comment. The people that were into that sound are not the same either; there's probably a lot of overlap, but so is there with other styles e.g. jungle.

2. When is a sound not a sound? This kind of question only really matters to journos .. all music has roots, and exists on a continuum. Hardcore begat jungle, disco begat hiphop. At some point someone draws a line in the sand and says, OK this has reached critical mass, it's a new style now. That's happened with dubstep because there's a community of dubstep heads; the fact that the music evolved stylistically is a concomitant fact, but is not the line in the sand itself. Otherwise a tune is a genre.

And man .. this blogger thing blows. I can't use my own blog as my signature!