Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Blonde Redhead - 23
















Blonde Redhead

23
(4AD/Rhythmethod)
4 Stars

Blonde Redhead are back and in the opinion of some (mostly the blogger massive) really hitting their stride with somewhat of a landmark album entitled 23. I am unfortunately not a blogger or a long term Blonde Redhead fan so I can't really validate this opinion.
What I can tell you is 23 has nothing to do with the recent Jim Carey film of the same name and is a beautiful sonic journey through high eerie vocals, melodic guitar riffs and rhythmic drum beats.
On a technical geek level I noticed that 23 is one of the louder recent soft rock style albums I've heard which may have something to do with the roping in of Alan Moulder and Rich Costey on mixing duties.
Blonde Redhead have captured a strong and comfortable sound in their music, one that is drenched in feeling.
23 is definitely worth a listen or two.

Martyn Pepperell

No comments: